Highland Clinic began as the Highland Clinic Sanitarium in 1917. We opened our doors at 1006 Highland Avenue in Shreveport, fulfilling the vision of J.A. Hendrick, MD. Most of the original physicians were experienced in general practice, with an interest or training in some particular area of medicine. As the number of physicians increased, so did our level of expertise.
The early years of the hospital and its physicians were difficult because of World War I and the Depression. However, in the late 1930's and 1940's, business improved. Additional personnel were added and further additions to the hospital were required. The Highland Hospital had an active internship during these years. However, the good times and growth were put on hold by World War II as a number of physicians were called to active duty with the military.
In the 1950’s, there was a loose association of physicians that organized themselves as a clinic with only ten partners in what had become known as Highland Clinic. From then until the 1970's, the clinic continued to add physicians in various specialties, as fully-trained specialists. A number of physicians taught at the Confederate Memorial Medical Center (predecessor to today's LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport) which opened in 1953. Many of the young clinic physicians had trained at the CMMC and came to Highland Clinic at the request of some of their teachers. By 1954, physicians called to active duty during the Korean War began to return to the clinic.
For the first time, the physicians were able to "incorporate". They also decided to physically separate Highland Clinic from the hospital; and the clinic moved into a three-story building at 1035 Creswell Street. At this time, it was comprised of 24 physicians.
Highland Hospital changed hands from Hospital Affiliates (HAI) in the late 70’s to the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) in the early 80’s. The Clinic opened its first satellite office on Youree Drive. This facility housed two pediatricians, two internists, and one allergist. This quickly grew to several satellite clinics throughout Shreveport, LA.
Highland Clinic partnered with CIGNA Healthplan, Inc., a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) which was the first managed care company in Shreveport. Highland received superior achievement awards for this program in 1989 and 1990. The clinic eventually discontinued its partnership with CIGNA, but continued to see CIGNA patients.
In 1988, all satellite operations were closed as the clinic and hospital moved to the current location at 1455 E. Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, allowing all of the physicians to be accessible under one roof.
In 1992, the new addition to the east side of the main clinic building included space for the Highland Clinic Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Department. The new location brought new business and in 1994, Columbia bought HCA and both organizations thrived. In 1996, the third floor was added to the orthopaedic building in order to house Internal Medicine and for patient convenience this addition included an outpatient laboratory. In the mid 1990's, Columbia returned the hospital to HCA management. In 1998, Columbia/HCA sold the hospital to CHRISTUS Schumpert. Once again, the Clinic faced new challenges but continued to grow and succeed with 48 physicians representing 15 different specialties.
In 2003, Pediatric Ophthalmology opened next door to the main campus building. The two physicians that support this specialty also travel to satellite offices within the Ark-La-Tex. The department added an Optometrist and has moved across the street to 1400 E. Bert Kouns. The Women's Clinic located on Olive Street in Shreveport joined Highland Clinic in 2004, and later relocated their office to the main Highland Clinic building. Further expansion was needed in order to accommodate the growing Highland Clinic and hospital services. The new Highland Clinic for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine building was completed. The first floor was designated for hospital admitting and Outpatient Physical Therapy. The second floor was designated for Highland Clinic Orthopaedic physicians. In 2005, Highland Clinic consisted of 50 providers representing 20 different medical specialties.
Highland Clinic became the first multi-specialty clinic in the Ark-La-Tex to bring Concierge Medicine to the area when SureAccessMD opened in 2006. Also in 2006, Highland Clinic expanded the Hematology and Oncology practice by opening another office in the Regional Urology Oncology and Radiation Treatment Center located at 301 Bert Kouns in Shreveport. Later that year, Highland Clinic merged with Ophthalmology Associates operating at two separate locations but in early 2007, they came together in a brand new state-of-the-art building located at 471 Ashley Ridge Drive. Other additions/expansions that occurred during this time have included The Highland Clinic Sleep Disorders Center (2006) and Highland Clinic Vein Center (2007). The Hematology and Oncology Department began having a clinic in Natchitoches, Louisiana at the Northwestern Louisiana Cancer Treatment Center in 2008. In 2009, the clinic added more medical services through The Workplace (an Occupational Health Clinic) and Diabetes and Nutrition Center and Interventional Pain Management. In 2010, Rheumatology, a specialty in high demand, was added to the clinic services. More recently even, in March 2014, the Hematology and Oncology Department opened an infusion center in Minden, Louisiana as a stand-alone clinic.
The clinic continues to introduce more services and features for the convenience of our patients. We believe healthcare should be brought to the people. As a result of this philosophy, Highland Clinic has launched new satellite offices in multiple local and regional markets, offering the same quality healthcare by licensed physicians.
As well, the multi-specialty clinic now has online access through NextMD to provide our patients a secure portal of communication with their doctors’ offices. Prescription refills, physician appointment requests and medical questions for the healthcare provider are now at the patients’ fingertips any time of day.