Safe Medicine You Can Take During Pregnancy
Is it safe for me to take medications while I am pregnant?
In the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, it is best to avoid any medications if
possible. This is the main time of organ development in the fetus. Therefore,
prevent from using any over-the-counter medications during this time.
What can I do for the first 8 weeks?
Before taking over-the-counter medications, try other ways to relieve your
symptoms. For cold and cough symptoms: rest, drink extra fluids, and use
a cool mist vaporizer 18 inches from your face. Occasionally you may be
prescribed medication during this time for nausea and other symptoms.
What If I Have To Take Medications?
Regardless of whether you’re taking over-the-counter medications or
prescriptions, remember, the healthier you are, the healthier your baby will be!
Should you have questions about medications, or if symptoms continue, call us
between 8:00 AM–5:00 PM Monday-Friday at (318) 798-4400. If it’s after hours,
you can call the hospital at (318) 681-5447 and speak to a nurse. If it’s an
emergency, stay on the office line and page the Doctor on call through the
What over-the-counter medications can I take safely?
Dramamine (If no relief, call the office)
Cold Symptoms & Allergies
- Benadryl or Chlor-Trimenton (anti-histamine, anti-allergy)
- Tylenol Flu, Cold, Sinus, & Allergy
- Mucinex or Sudafed (decongestant)
- Actifed (anti-histamine & decongestant)
- Afrin Nasal Spray – 2 puffs every 12 hours (nasal saline for dryness & nasal congestion)
- (NO OTHER TYPE OF NASAL SPRAY MAY BE USED!!!!)
- Robitussin or Robitussin DM
- If cough is productive with green or yellow sputum, call the office
- Colace (Docusate) – 100mg twice a day
- Milk of Magnesia – 2 tablespoons every evening
- Citrate of Magnesia – 1 bottle no more than once a week
- Metamucil – 1 heaping tablespoon with 8 oz. water or juice per day.
- With Metamucil, you must drink at least 6 glasses (8 oz.) of water every day
- DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL!!!!!
Headaches or Body Aches
- Tylenol (or any acetaminophen preparations) up to 650 mg every 6 hours
- DO NOT take any Aspirin or Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) unless authorized to do so by your Doctor
- If headache persists for 24 hours, causes visual disturbances, or numbness/tingling in extremities, call the office at (318) 798-4400
Fever or Chills
- If your temperature is over 99.5°F, you can take up to 650 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours.
- If fever exceeds 101.5°F, call the office at (318) 798-4400.
- If calling after hours, have the answering service page the Doctor on call.
- Imodium – take as directed on label. If no relief, call the office.