1917 In 1917, Highland Clinic Sanitarium opened its doors at 1006 Highland Avenue in Shreveport, fulfilling the vision of J.A. Hendrick, MD. Most of the original physicians were experienced in general practice, with an interest or training in some particular area of medicine. As the number of physicians increased, so did their level of postgraduate training. A nursing school began as part of the hospital when it opened.
The early years of the hospital and its physicians were difficult because of World War I and the depression. However, in the late 1930's and 1940's business improved and further additions to the hospital and the clinic personnel was required. The Highland Hospital had an active internship during these years. However, the good times and growth were put on hold by World War II as a number of physicians were called to active duty with the military. 1930's
1950's During the early years of the hospital, there was a loose association of physicians which organized themselves as a clinic. In 1950, there were only ten partners in Highland Clinic. From then until the 1970's, the clinic continued to add physicians in various specialties, and all the additions were fully trained as specialists. A number of physicians taught at the Confederate Memorial Medical Center (predecessor to today's LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport) which opened in 1953. Many of the young Clinic physicians had trained at the CMMC and came to Highland Clinic because some of their teachers were here. By 1954, physicians called to active duty during the Korean War began to return to the Clinic.
For the first time, the physicians were able to "incorporate". They also decided to physically separate the Clinic from the hospital and the Clinic moved into a three-story building at 1035 Creswell Street. At this time, the Clinic was composed of 24 physicians. 1970's
1980's Highland Hospital changed hands from Hospital Affiliates (HAI) in the late 70s to the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) in the early 80s. The Clinic opened its first satellite office on Youree Drive. This facility housed two pediatricians, two internists, and one allergist. This quickly grew to several satellite clinics throughout Shreveport. Highland Clinic partnered with CIGNA Healthplan, Inc., a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) which was the first managed care company in Shreveport. Highland received superior achievement awards for this program in 1989 and 1990. The Clinic eventually discontinued its partnership with CIGNA, but continued to see CIGNA patients. In 1988, all satellite operations were closed as the clinic and hospital moved to the current location at 1455 E. Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, allowing the physicians to be "all under one roof."
In 1992, construction was completed on the Highland Clinic for Orthopaedics building adjacent to the main Clinic building. This Center included a fitness center and physical therapy, in addition to Orthopaedic physician clinical office space. The new location brought new business and in 1994 Columbia bought HCA and both organizations thrived. In 1996, the third floor was added to the Orthopaedic building in order to house Internal Medicine and for patient convenience this addition included an outpatient laboratory. In the mid 1990's, Columbia returned the hospital to HCA management. In 1998, Columbia/HCA sold the hospital to CHRISTUS Schumpert. Once again, the Clinic faced new challenges but continued to grow and succeed with 48 physicians representing 15 different specialities. 1990's
2000's In 2003, Pediatric Ophthalmology was added to set up shop next door the main facility building. The two physicians that support this specialty also travel to satellite offices in the Ark-La-Tex. The Women's Clinic located on Olive Street in Shreveport joined Highland Clinic in 2004 and later relocated their office to the main Highland Clinic building. Further expansion was needed in order to accomodate the growing Highland Clinic and hospital services. The new Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine building was completed. The first floor was designated for hospital admitting and Outpatient Physical Therapy. The second floor was designated for 10 Highland Clinic Orthopaedic physicians. In 2005 Highland Clinic consisted of 50 providers representing 20 different medical specialities.
Highland Clinic became the first in the Ark-La-Tex to bring Concierge Medicine to the area when, in 2006, SureAccessMD opened. Also in 2006, Highland Clinic expanded their Hematology and Oncology practice by opening another office in the Regional Urology Oncology and Radiation Treatment Center located at 301 Bert Kouns in Shreveport. Later that year, Highland Clinic Ophthalmology merged with Ophthalmology Associates operating at two separate locations but in early 2007, the came together in a brand new state-of-the-art building located at 471 Ashley Ridge Drive. Other additions/expansions that occurred during this time have included The Highland Clinic Sleep Disorders Center (2006) and Highland Clinic Vein Center (2007). The Hematology and Oncology Department began having a clinic in Natchitoches Louisiana at the Northwestern Louisiana Cancer Treatment Center in 2008. The clinic added to additional services in 2009-the Workplace (an Occupational Health Clinic) and Diabetes and Nutrition Center and Interventional Pain Management . In 2010, Highland Clinic brought in Rheumatology a much needed speciality. 2006 til Today
The Clinic's desire to make services convenient and accessible to our patients is reflected by the many "roadtrip" clinics our physicians hold throughout the Ark-La-Tex. Taking Healthcare to the People.